BHS athletes named to Herald all-area teamsPublished 1:29pm Tuesday, July 2, 2013
This year’s Albany Herald all-area teams have a definite Bainbridge flavor.
Several Bearcats and Lady Cats have been included in the metro newspaper’s all-area teams, which were published in recent editions. Bainbridge even had two players who were named the best in the entire Herald coverage area, in their respective sports.
Bainbridge senior Hilary Flournoy was selected as the Herald’s Player of the Year for girls tennis, the second straight year she has been selected to the all-area team.
Flournoy, who was 16-2 this past season, lost just three matches during her high school career. She will continue playing tennis at Georgia Southwestern University, where she plans to study nursing.
Bainbridge junior Luis Mejia was also selected as the Herald’s Player of the Year in boys soccer. Mejia helped guide the Bearcats to their first Region 1-AAAAA championship title in the 2013 season, and was also named the region’s player of the year.
Mejia had 25 goals and 10 assists, as he helped Bainbridge finish the year with a 14-3-2 record.
Before this year, only one Bainbridge athlete had been named a Herald Player of the Year — Alexis Burke was selected as the girls basketball Player of the Year in 2010.
Other Bainbridge athletes recently named to Herald all-area teams include:
• Boys soccer — Daniel Provence, junior (eight goals, five assists).
• Girls soccer — Caitlin Cato, senior (captain and three-year starter for Lady Cats had four goals and three assists); Longeshia Emanuel, sophomore (led the Lady Cats with 13 goals).
• Boys tennis — Hema Hasona, sophomore (14-4 overall, ranked in the Top 40 in boys 16-and-under singles in Georgia).
• Girls tennis — Stephanie Mayfield, sophomore, and Mallie Rollins, freshman (the Lady Cats’ No. 2 doubles team was 14-4 and undefeated in region play); Taylor Greene, freshman (finished 12-3 overall and was unbeaten in region play).
• Boys track — Dominic Douglas, junior (won Region 1-AAAAA title in the high jump); Chase Harris, sophomore (won 1,600-meter and 3,200-meter runs at region meet); A.J. Miller, senior (won the 400-meter run at region meet).
• Girls track — Raven Burney, junior (won the region long jump title for the second year in a row).