Man saves trio in burning house
Published 4:42 pm Friday, August 28, 2015
Around 7:30 Friday morning, Tchaikovsky Williams was going to see his girlfriend before the workday started.
He was walking down the 400 block of Fourth Street when he saw a house with smoke coming out of the back, according to Bainbridge Public Safety.
Williams knew the people living in the home and broke through the front door to get to them but was met by a wall of smoke, so he dropped to the floor.
Email newsletter signup
He decided it might be better to approach from the back so he retreated out the front door and ran around to the back of the house. Flames were visible so he broke a window to gain access, cutting his hand in the process.
Williams found Alisia Hopkins, Deborah Harper and Bernard Akins all asleep and woke them. He told them the house was on fire and got all out of the home safely.
Bainbridge Public Safety fire chief Major Doyle Welch said that the fire started from an electrical problem near the back of the house and that the home did not have a working smoke alarm.
“If he hadn’t had seen the smoke, we probably would have had three fatalities,” Welch said, adding that citizens should all double check their smoke alarms. “More people die from smoke inhalation than burning.”