Two life-flighted after Friday wreck

Published 10:48 pm Friday, October 5, 2012

Bainbridge Public Safety and the Georgia State Patrol responded a serious vehicle accident that occurred shortly before 8:30 p.m. last Friday on U.S. Hwy. 84 West, near its intersection with the Commodore Decatur Industrial Park.

It was a single vehicle crash involving a Ford F-250 Super Duty pickup truck.

Email newsletter signup

The truck’s driver was Jeriet Carlton Cook, 40, of Cohen Green Road in Attapulgus, State Trooper First Class Walt Landrum said. The two passengers were Cook’s sons, 13-year-old Devin Cook and 7-year-old Jeriet Cook Jr.

None of the three were wearing their seat belts, Landrum said. State troopers said they believed the truck overturned in a field multiple times before coming to rest upright.

Jeriet Cook Sr. and 13-year-old Devin were transported a Tallahassee, Fla., hospital via two emergency medical helicopters that landed behind the Dollar General on Dothan Road.

Seven-year-old Jeriet Cook Jr., who was ejected from of the truck, was taken to a hospital by ambulance, according to the GSP’s accident report.

According to Landrum, Cook was traveling east on the highway, toward Bainbridge, when he lost control of his vehicle at the top of a rise just west of Zorn Road. The truck went through a paved cut in the highway median, across the highway’s westbound lanes and into the parking lot of Yogi’s Food Store. The truck brushed a pine tree on the store’s property before running into a field, where it overturned.

All told, the truck traveled 891 feet in an uncontrolled manner, said State Trooper First Class Brian Palmer, who is investigating the accident.

Landrum said he believed the injuries to the Cook family, while serious, were not life-threatening in nature.

Bainbridge Public Safety Sgt. Nigel Hurst was among the first officers at the scene and called for a quick response from Emergency Medical Services and other first responders in the area.

Cook Sr. was administered a blood test as a routine procedure following a serious accident, according to the State Patrol.

Note: We previously reported on Friday night that all three occupants were life-flighted. We were later told that only two were taken to hospitals by helicopter and the story has been revised to reflect information from the State Patrol’s accident report.