Bearcat soccer goes 1-1 in recent games

Published 3:40 pm Tuesday, February 19, 2019

The Bainbridge Bearcat varsity soccer team experienced mixed results in their two most recent matches as they lost 2-0 to Warner Robins on Thursday, February 14th in Warner Robins and won their match versus Americus-Sumter 3-1 on Monday, February 18th in Americus.

The Bearcats traveled to Warner Robins on February 14th for a clash with their region rivals, the Warner Robins Demons.  The match was hard fought and intense throughout.  The Bearcats had opportunities to score during the first half, but were unable to capitalize on those opportunities.  The score was 0-0 at half-time. 

The Bearcats had additional scoring opportunities during the second half, but saw them go by the wayside.  Finally, in the 65th minute, the Demons struck for a goal on a headed opportunity that can best be described as an answered prayer for Warner Robins.  Warner Robins scored an additional goal in the closing minutes (76th) to close out the 2-0 win.

Email newsletter signup

Coach Lewis and Coach Ard agreed and stated the following:  “Of course, it was a disappointing result for the team.  Much of the night we outplayed the opponent. 

In fact, we had a 19 to 15 advantage on shot opportunities.  We simply conceded too many 50/50 balls during the first half to give up possession, we did not finish our scoring opportunities that were presented, and we gave up some careless goals in the latter parts of the match that we should not have allowed.  In future games, we must correct these errors in order to be successful.  This result will be a learning opportunity for the team, and hopefully we can correct these errors moving forward.”

The team was back in action on Monday, February 18th in Americus.  The Bearcats played a very determined and motivated side from Americus-Sumter that definitely came into the match with confidence.  After a hard fought first half, the Bearcats managed a 1-0 half-time lead thanks to Andru Matthews’ ability to finish a corner kick opportunity in the 36th minute; the second time he has done so this season.  The Bearcats refocused and came out strong in the opening minutes of the second half.  Following an Americus-Sumter hand ball near the top of their own penalty box in the 59th minute, Mason Ard stepped up to take the direct kick.  He blasted a laser-like shot to the upper left corner of the Americus goal to extend the team’s lead to 2-0. 

In the 74th minute, Caleb Harris took a pass from Ard to score the team’s third and final goal on the evening.  The Panthers scored their lone goal in the 67th minute following a bobble of the ball by the Bearcat goalkeeper.

The Bearcats continued to have difficulty converting goal scoring opportunities in this match.  The Bearcats had 29 shots on goal for the evening, but only three goals to show for those opportunities, while limiting Americus-Sumter to 5 shots on goal. 

Coach Lewis and Coach Ard again stated that shot selection and finishing must improve for the team to experience the desired positive results that they seek.

Andru Matthews, Tom Emmons, and Colin Morrison turned in strong performances on the night defensively, as did keeper Matt Hall.  Nix McIntosh, Cesar Chiguil, Joe Emmons, and Tristan Brannan turned in masterful performances in the central midfield as they won balls and put Bearcat attackers into dangerous positions throughout the night. 

Angel Munoz and Kendall Glover looked dangerous on the wings during the night, as was Adam Pascual. 

Mason Ard delivered an absolute dagger of a goal on his set piece opportunity for his first goal on the season, and he looked menacing on the attack several times as he broke down defenders to deliver dangerous passes to his teammates for scoring opportunities. 

The Bearcats will be in action again on Friday night at 7:30 at Centennial Field against region rivals Veterans High School.