Police chase car through Bainbridge

Published 4:30 pm Friday, June 15, 2018

Police are investigating an armed robbery that led to a high-speed chase through Bainbridge early Wednesday morning.

Bainbridge Public Safety officer Christopher Prindle was dispatched to a residence on Campbell Street around 12:30 p.m. and met with a man who said he was robbed at gunpoint. He described two men putting a gun to his head and searching his pockets, then following him to his residence where they took a video game console, games, a purse and shoes valued at around $550.

While speaking with the resident, Prindle spotted a vehicle slowly drive down Campbell Street. It stopped, then ran a stop sign while turning south onto Bruton Street.

Email newsletter signup

Prindle pursued the vehicle and spoke to the driver, who didn’t have a license but said his name was “Jacob Arnett”. Three other passengers were in the vehicle, and Prindle noted that some of them matched the descriptions provided. He also noticed a ski mask between the center console and the passenger’s upper thigh, the handle of a handgun protruding from the driver’s right thigh and a strong smell of marijuana emitting from the vehicle.

Prindle stepped behind the rear of the suspected vehicle and requested additional backup. Suddenly, the suspect vehicle cranked up and sped down Washington Street. Prindle initiated pursuit.

The vehicle blew through a stop sign at the intersection of Washington and Louise streets and raced through the intersection at Louise and West streets, where it turned to head south down West Street and Fowlstown Hwy., reaching speeds of 103 MPH, according to the report.

The Gadsden County Sheriff’s Office was contacted of the chase and put eight patrol units in the area to intercept the vehicle.

BPS Captain Jack Bunting advised Prindle to end the chase at the Florida/Georgia state line. Around 1:50 a.m., Prindle stopped pursuing the vehicle and returned to Bainbridge. E-911 returned information about the driver, Arnett, and matched the identification photograph as the same one driving the car. The case was turned over to BPS investigator Davina Thomas and remains active.