What can the ‘Y’ do for you?
Published 8:04 am Tuesday, January 10, 2012
We know wellness when we experience it. It’s an overall feeling of health and wholeness. A sense of belonging. The desire to continually learn new things and improve our skills. And the chance to contribute and help someone else.
At the Y, a supportive community is a big part of wellness. At every age and every level of activity, you’ll find people just like you looking to live a little bit healthier. Members and program participants often cite the support and enthusiasm of fellow participants and staff as some of the key factors in achieving greater well-being. That’s why we’re here working with you every day; making sure you have the resources and support you need. And that’s why we are confident that your Y membership will continue to bring meaningful change, not just within yourself, but in your community as well.
At the Bainbridge-Decatur County YMCA we want members and guests of all ages to enjoy an active healthy lifestyle as 2012 begins. The following Program Guide can be used as a quick reference of fun activities and events you and your entire family can take advantage of at the YMCA!
Email newsletter signup
If I am 6 weeks to 11 years old, I can:
• Be supervised by a Y staff in Child Watch
• Swim with mom or dad in the pool
• Learn to swim in a six-week “Safe Start” class
• Enroll in parent/child swim class
• Hang out at the Y on Parents Night Out
• Have my birthday party at the Y
• Enjoy the indoor Child Watch room
• Have fun at the outside playground with friends
• Enroll in a Tiny Tots sport
• Take part in youth sports programs
If I am a teenager, I can:
• Be at the YMCA without a parent or guardian
• Walk or jog on indoor or outdoor track
• Participate in any group exercise class
• Work out in the fitness center without a parent
• Go swimming or become a lifeguard
• Play on a youth sports team
• Play basketball
• Bring my laptop and complete homework
• Access free wi-fi
If I am an adult, I can:
• Go swimming and enjoy the pool
• Walk or jog on the indoor or outdoor track
• Work out with a personal trainer
• Play basketball/racquetball or tennis
• Enroll in an adult swim class
• Take Zumba or spin classes
• Time to take yoga
• Relax and have a cup of coffee in our adult lounge
• Bring your laptop and enjoy free wi-fi
Members of the community are the heart and soul of the YMCA. Every day connections are being made in our lobby, Fitness Center, pool, after-school child care program, group fitness classes, in the gym or on the sports fields … you are “why we have a Y”!
Out staff are always ready to hear from you about the programs that you wish to have added and should you have a class that you wish to offer at the YMCA, just share with us and it could be on the new class calendar. The YMCA staff comes to work each day to check you in, sign you up and take care of our facilities. But their most important job each day is connecting with you and helping new and current members — as well as guests — connect with those in our programs or simply enjoy the building. We simply could not do what we do without you.
Mike Haynes is the interim CEO of the Bainbridge-Decatur County YMCA. He can be reached at (229) 243-0508.