Fire damages old pine house

Published 8:03 pm Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A fire believed to have started when a stove was left on by accident caused significant damage to an old pine house on West College Street on Tuesday afternoon.

Bainbridge Public Safety officers responded to 424 W. College St. at 2:23 p.m. Tuesday and found flames at the rear of the home, which was built in the early 1900s, according to property tax records.

The home’s resident was not inside when the fire broke out and stated he thought he had turned the stove off before leaving the house earlier, BPS Assistant Fire Chief Gary Welch said.

Email newsletter signup