IRS encourages taxpayers to check withholdings

Published 2:11 pm Tuesday, July 14, 2009

With 2009 nearly half over, the Internal Revenue Service reminds Georgians that there is no better time to check their 2009 federal income tax withholding levels to make sure they do not face any surprises when returns are due next spring.

The Making Work Pay Credit lowered tax withholding rates this year for 120 million American households.

However, said IRS spokesman Mark Green, “Those who should pay particular attention to their withholding include: married couples with two incomes; individuals with multiple jobs; pensioners; workers who can be claimed as dependents by other taxpayers; and some Social Security recipients who work. Failure to adjust your withholding now could cause you to owe tax or to get a smaller refund next year.”

Email newsletter signup

So far, in 2009, the average refund amount is $2,675 and 79 percent of all returns received a refund.

Because retirees typically have withholding from their pension payments, pension plan administrators or pension payors should be aware of the optional adjustment procedure for pension withholding announced in Notice 1036-P, “Additional Withholding for Pensions for 2009.”

Social Security beneficiaries, supplemental security income recipients, disabled veterans and railroad retirees that receive this year’s one-time $250 economic recovery payment should be aware that the Making Work Pay credit will be reduced by the $250 payment amount. They may also want to review their withholding.

The IRS withholding calculator on can help a taxpayer compute the proper tax withholding. The worksheets in Publication 919, “How Do I Adjust My Withholding?,” can also be used to do the calculation. If the result suggests an adjustment is necessary, the taxpayer should submit a new W-4 Form, “Withholding Allowance Certificate,” to his or her employer or adjust the amount of quarterly tax paid.

In addition, the IRS reminds unemployed workers that the first $2,400 of unemployment benefits they receive during 2009 are tax-free for federal income tax purposes. People who expect to receive more than that should consider having tax withheld from their benefit payments in excess of $2,400.

Use Form W-4V, “Voluntary Withholding Request,” or the equivalent form provided by the payer to request withholding to begin or end.

Taxpayers should visit for more information about how to adjust federal income tax withholding. The Web site also has details on various tax incentives in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act as well as downloadable forms and publications. Free tax forms and publications are also available by calling 1-800-829-3676.