Climax house fire

Published 4:36 pm Friday, April 17, 2009

On Wednesday, April 15, at around 4 p.m., Cathy Floyd of 156 Railroad Lane in Climax called E-911 when a fire broke out in her kitchen.

Volunteer firefighters from Climax, Attapulgus, Mount Pleasant and Decatur County Fire and Rescue responded to the blaze, which quickly spread into the attic of the home.

Due to the quick response of firefighter, the majority of the house was saved. However, according to Tim Floyd, Cathy’s husband, the kitchen suffered extensive smoke, fire and water damage.

Email newsletter signup

Floyd said he and his wife were very thankful their three children and one grandchild were not hurt. He said he felt the fire started from the kitchen stove where Cathy had started cooking dinner.

Firefighters returned to the home the next day to extinguish hot spots that had again begun smoking.