4th of July music nixed

Published 8:29 pm Tuesday, February 17, 2009

People who have enjoyed the major recording artists at Bainbridge’s 4th of July celebrations may have to enjoy the fireworks without the music this year.

In a 3-2 vote, the Bainbridge City Council decided Tuesday to cancel plans to bring two hit country music artists to the Earle May Boat Basin for this year’s celebration.

Voting against paying a production deposit for $12,000 to RCS Productions, who have produced four major concerts in Bainbridge, were Council members Roslyn Palmer, Joe Sweet and Luther Conyers. Voting unsuccessfully to go ahead with the planned music were Councilmen Dean Burke and Edward Reynolds.

Councilman Greg Waddell left the meeting a few minutes before the vote to attend to a family commitment.

The fireworks display is still on, but for now, the majority of the council indicated they would rather save money in tough economic times.

Palmer suggested canceling contracts and deposits with RCS Productions to bring country music acts Keith Anderson and Danielle Peck for the city’s Independence Day party. Palmer suggested alternatively hosting a local act for less money, which in her estimation could still draw a large crowd.

Mayor Mark Harrell, who cannot vote except in the event of a tie, said the money was part of $41,000, which had been included in the city’s budget for the event. The Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, which is separate from the city government, had committed $10,000 toward the event’s cost. Mayor Harrell said the event’s budget had already been cut more than $20,000 and had suggested this year’s concert go on as planned.

Both Anderson and Peck have had multiple songs popular enough to be included on the Billboard Hot Country charts and are on major Nashville recording labels.