Fire severely damages home

Published 3:54 pm Wednesday, January 28, 2009

County firefighters responded to a fully involved fire at a home on Slough Loop Road in Decatur County Wednesday afternoon.

The home, located at 242 Slough Loop Road, caught fire shortly after 1:30 p.m. while its two residents, Bobby Humphrey and Patricia Cox, were inside.

Humphrey said they were watching television when the power in the trailer suddenly went out. He said he went to the rear of the home to check the circuit breaker when he saw flames coming from the back bedroom.

Email newsletter signup

Humphrey explained that he and Cox are disabled and he was grateful they were both able to get out of the home before the flames spread to the living room where they were located.

Cox went to a nearby home and called E-911.

ā€œIā€™m just glad we were up and awake when it happened,ā€ Humphrey said.

Decatur County Fire and Rescue, and Climax and Blackjack volunteer firefighters responded to the fire.