Two teenage burglars arrested
Published 1:08 pm Wednesday, November 12, 2008
An alert Bainbridge Public Safety officer foiled two burglars Monday night.
While patrolling near Nichols Tractor Company, Capt. Jack Bunting noticed a suspicious vehicle in the parking lot with three red gas cans lying behind it.
According to incident reports, the officer believed the gas cans came from boats located at a nearby business, and there was a strong odor of gasoline surrounding the vehicle.
Email newsletter signup
The keys were inside the vehicle and inside the trunk several car stereos were found.
Another BPS officer, Taylor Mills, recognized the vehicle from an earlier traffic stop.
A juvenile walking down Dothan Highway, fitting the description given by Mills, was stopped by Bunting. The 16-year-old juvenile of Donalsonville, who smelled like gasoline, was arrested and charged with burglary.
Mills later stopped a vehicle leaving from Nichols Tractor Company with 18-year-old Deonte Tvaris Smith inside. Smith of 6058 Hebrew Road in Bainbridge, was also arrested and charged with burglary.
The Georgia State Patrol Colquitt post investigated 14 traffic crashes during October in Decatur County.
Sgt. 1st Class Eddie Edwards said the traffic crashes resulted in 17 injuries and one traffic death. Edwards said troopers also issued 237 traffic citations in the county during the month. The total includes 18 arrests for DUI, 67 citations for speeding, 37 seat belt violations, 25 child restraint violations. The post also issued 258 warnings.
Arrests & Citations
The following is a partial list of arrests and citations, occurring between Nov. 7-10, reported by Bainbridge Public Safety and the Decatur County Jail:
• Billy Wayne Rogers, 32, Crawfordville, Fla., probation violation—original charge simple assault, SO;
• Avery Smart, 18, 1125 E. Water St., Bainbridge, kidnapping, battery, BPS;
• Billy Tillman, 48, 423 Lamar St., Bainbridge, DUI, failure to maintain lane, no license on person;
• Harry Vernard Brown, 33, Albany, Ga., possession of cell phone by inmate, SO;
• Veronica Yvette Anderson, 19, 1105 Lake Drive, Bainbridge, disorderly conduct, resisting officer, BPS;
• Kafiri Baynum, 33, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., possession of a cell phone by an inmate, SO.
Due to an old arrest report from 1996 being mistakenly included in current arrest reports provided to The Post-Searchlight by Bainbridge Public Safety, Ulysess Choice, 52, formerly of Clay Street, was incorrectly listed as recently being arrested as was reported in the Nov. 8 arrest report of The Post-Searchlight.