Community Calendar for 5/29/13Published 2:53am Tuesday, May 28, 2013
Birthdays, anniversaries and special events can be added to, changed or deleted from the calendar by submitting them in writing at The Post-Searchlight office, 301 N. Crawford St., by faxing (229) 246-7665, by e-mailing email@example.com; or mailing to P.O. Box 277, Bainbridge, GA 39818.
Saturday, June 1
• The Mt. Olive M.B. Church Missionary Department will have its annual prayer breakfast at the church, located at 100 Mt. Olive Road, in west Bainbridge, at 9 a.m. The theme is, “There’s Power in Prayer (Acts 16: 25-26).” The speakers will be the Rev. Daniel and Flossie Smith, of Macedonia M.B. Church in Donalsonville.
• Christ Tabernacle of the Living Word Church, located at 1701 Bethel Road, will have a women’s seminar at 2 p.m. The theme will be “Yet I Rise,” and speakers include Lora Harris, Rosa Smiley and Minister Qunta Bush.
• First Saturday Market Day, Willis Park, 9 a.m. to noon
• Birthdays: Carl Elliott
Sunday, June 2
• Climax Baptist Church, located at 204 W. Lee St., in Climax, will have its vacation Bible school starting Sunday, June, 2, through Thursday, June 6, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., for students ages 2 through the 12th grade. There will be a meal each night for the children, and the Rev. Steve Poppell is the pastor.
• Climax Baptist Church, located at 204 W. Lee St., in Climax, will have its homecoming at 10:30 a.m. Sunday school will begin at 9 a.m. The Rev. Stanley Phillips will be the guest speaker, and a covered-dish lunch will follow the service.
• West Bainbridge Baptist Church, located at 801 Griffin St., will celebrate Homecoming at the 10:30 a.m. worship service. A covered dish lunch will follow.
Monday, June 3
• Teresa D. Young Foundation Summer Camp for children ages 7 to 15, community room at Gibbs Miles Apartments on Sims Street, 1 p.m. through 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday through June 27. Fun activities and snacks will be provided. The camp is free. Register at the Teresa D. Young Foundation office at 113 N. West Street or at the Bainbridge Housing Authority office. Call 229-416-4007 for more information.
Tuesday, June 4
Bethel A.M.E. Church, located at 207 N. Giffin Ave., Attapulgus, will begin a three day summer revival at 7 p.m. nightly through Thursday, June 6. Nightly messenger is Rev. Sterling Barkley, Pastor of Greater Tanner Chapel Church, Quincy, Fla.
Thursday, June 6
• A six-week class for caregivers will be offered each Thursday evening through July 18, except for July 4, from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the Senior Center, 402 W. Water St. Classes are free, but reservations are required. Contact Diannah Bruch at 229-379-1198 or Lindy Harrel at firstname.lastname@example.org or 229-220-2194 for more information.
Sunday, June 9
• Highway Free Will Baptist Church, located on U.S. Highway 84 West, in Brinson, will hold a homecoming, beginning at 10:30 a.m. with the Rev. S.E. Newberry as the speaker. Lunch will be served at noon and singing with the Harper Trio will begin at 1:30 p.m.
• Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church, located in Vada, will start Vacation Bible School, running through the 12th from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., on the theme Colossal Coaster World. Contact Becky Posey at 294-3165 or Jenny Poitevint at 294-2250.
Monday, June 10
• The Greater Macedonia M.B. Church, located at 1006 Holly St., Bainbridge, will hold Vacation Bible School through Friday, June 14 from 9 a.m. to 12 noon daily.
• New Salem Freewill Baptist Church, located at 2574 Spring Creek Road, will begin a five day revival with services at 7:30 p.m., nightly through the 14th, led by Bishop Sylvester Robinson.
Friday, June 14
• Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church, located at Vada, will host the Young at Heart covered dish social at 6:30 p.m.
Monday, June 17
• Jack Wingate Outdoor Summer Camp for children ages 7-12, Earle May Boat Basin, continues through Friday, June 21. The cost is $125 per camper and the camp runs between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. each day. Register at the Bainbridge Convention and Visitors Bureau, City Hall or online at www.bainbridgecity.com, or call 229-243-8555 for more information.
• The Greater Macedonia M.B. Church, located at 1006 Holly St., Bainbridge, will begin a revival/evangelistic service that runs nightly at 7 p.m. through Friday, June 21. Rev. Gary C. Sanders Sr., Pastor of First Mt. Olive M.B. Church, Albany, moderator of the Camilla M.B. Association, will be guest evangelist.
Saturday, June 22
• 8th Annual Two-Man Scramble Golf Tournament to benefit the Deltrice Riles Memorial Sports Scholarship Fund (presented by Gary Riles and James Butler Jr.), Donalsonville Country Club, 8:30 p.m. Call (229) 515-0023 for more information.
Monday, June 24
• St. Paul M.B. Church, located on Thomasville Road, will begin Vacation Bible School, that runs through the 28th from 6 to 8 p.m. daily. The theme this year is TEXT Jesus.
Friday, July 12
• 2nd Annual Teresa D. Young Foundation Charity Golf tournament, Cairo Country Club, 1701 U.S. 84, Cairo, registration at 10 a.m., lunch at noon and shotgun start at 1:30 p.m.