Bearcats win region track titlePublished 8:45am Monday, April 22, 2013
The Bainbridge High School Bearcats track team won the Region 1-AAAAA meet Thursday in Albany, Ga., and the Lady Cats finished fourth in the region.
Several members of the track teams will now advance to the sectional meet, which will be held in Atlanta, Ga., on April 27.
The Bearcats who qualified for the sectional meet are Marshall Mack, Terry Lewis, A.J. Miller, Jovante Ross, Nathaniel Scott, Chase Harris, Dreyveon Banks, Derek Allen, Danbrell Harris, Martez Vickers, Shawn Herring, Craig Cooper, Greg Cooper, Cedric Jones, Elijah Tyler, Justin Baker, Stephen Johnson, DeAndre Miller, Lorenzo Mitchell, Dominic Douglas, Jamez Harris and Aquivious Carroll.
Chase Harris was the region champion in both the 1,600-meter run and the 3,200-meter run, and set a new school record in the 3,200-meter run. He finished the 3,200-meter run with a time of 9 minutes, 56.68 seconds, beating his own previous record of 10 minutes.
Dominic Douglas placed first in the region in the high jump, with a leap of 6 feet, 2 inches. Jamez Harris was the region champion in the shot put, with a throw of 44 feet, 7 inches.
The Bearcats’ 4-by-100 relay team of Vickers, Tyler, Jones and Craig Cooper placed second in the region, with a time of 43.63. Among those earning second-place finishes for Bainbridge were Craig Cooper (high jump), Carroll (shot put) and Banks (3,200-meter run).
Bainbridge finished with 175 team points, ahead of second-place Northside-Columbus, which had 145 points.
Other top-eight finishes for Bainbridge were:
• Second place — 200-meter dash (A.J. Miller, 22.75); 400-meter dash (A.J. Miller, 49.65); 800-meter run (Jovante Ross, 2:06.83); 4-by-400 relay (A.J. Miller, Jovante Ross, Derek Allen, Terry Lewis and Justin Baker, 3:27.31).
• Third place — 100-meter dash (Marshall Mack, 11.19); 110-meter hurdles (Derek Allen, 15.71); 300-meter hurdles (Derek Allen, 40.79); 4-by-400 relay (Greg Cooper, Craig Cooper, Stephen Johnson, DeAndre Miller, Lorenzo Mitchell and Danbrell Harris, 3:33.87); long jump (Craig Cooper, 20 feet, 11 inches).
• Fourth place — 100-meter dash (Terry Lewis, 11.27); 800-meter run (Nathaniel Scott, 2:12.42); 110-meter hurdles (Danbrell Harris, 16.26); triple jump (Stephen Johnson, 40 feet, 11 inches).
• Fifth place — 200-meter dash (Terry Lewis, 23.25); 1,600-meter run (Bennett Enfinger, 5:10.65); 300-meter hurdles (Danbrell Harris, 43.66); discus throw (Joshua Sheard, 127 feet, 11 inches).
• Sixth place — 400-meter dash (DeAndre Miller, 53.51).
• Eighth place — long jump (Tavarius Bowens, 19 feet, 2 inches); triple jump (Dominic Douglas, 38 feet, 9 inches).
The Lady Cats who qualified for sectionals are Amber Braswell, Paige Braswell, Porchia Green, Brianna Turner, Terrika Green, Deandrea Green, Jasmine Price, Arian Brown, Raven Burney, Asia Thomas and Tearnee Harvin.
Burney won the region championship in the long jump, with a leap of 17 feet, 5 inches. It was her third straight region title in the event.
Paige Braswell was the region winner in the 3,200-meter run, with a time of 12:33.51. Amber Braswell placed second, with a time of 13:11.50.
Bainbridge’s girls finished in fourth place with 106 points, behind third-place Hardaway (120 points) and ahead of fifth-place Harris County (28 points). Northside-Columbus was the region champion, with 176 points.
Other top-eight finishes for the Lady Cats were:
• Second place — 1,600-meter run (Paige Braswell, 5:53.53).
• Third place — 100-meter hurdles (Porchia Green, 17.18); high jump (Porchia Green, 4 feet, 8 inches); shot put (Asia Thomas, 33 feet, 4.5 inches).
• Fourth place — 1,600-meter run (Amber Braswell, 6:06.00); 100-meter hurdles (Brianna Turner, 17.78); 300-meter hurdles (Porchia Green, 49.65); 4-by-100 relay (Terrika Green, Deandrea Green, Jasmine Price, Tearnee Harvin and Arian Brown, 50.47); 4-by-400 relay (Deandrea Green, Terrika Green, Raven Burney, Jasmine Price, Brianna Turner and Beonka Madge, 4:13.72).
• Fifth place — 400-meter dash (Deandrea Green, 1:03.09); 300-meter hurdles (Brianna Turner, 51.00); discus throw (Asia Thomas, 85 feet, 5 inches).
• Sixth place — 100-meter dash (Tearnee Harvin, 13.17); 400-meter dash (Raven Burney, 1:04.48); triple jump (Deandrea Green, 33 feet, 4.75 inches).
• Seventh place — 200-meter dash (Jasmine Price, 27.80).
• Eighth place — 800-meter run (Jamia Powell, 2:54.75); 4-by-400 relay (LaJada Johnson, Arian Brown, Janisha Perkins, Elisia Everson, Tearnee Harvin and Porchia Green, 4:40.83); long jump (Tearnee Harvin, 14 feet, 10 inches); discus throw (Allison Samuels, 65 feet, 10 inches).